Meet Your Teachers

Meet Zhang Lao Shi

Hi! My name is Shengnan Zhang, and I like to be called Zhang Laoshi. I am your third grade Chinese teacher. I was born and raised in Shanghai, China. I am the only child, but I have a lot of cousins. We all treat each other like siblings. I came to US seven years ago to pursue my education. After I got my Master Degree from the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio, I moved to Louisville, Kentucky and became a high school Chinese teacher. I started the Chinese program in the district and design the curriculum. By the time I left Louisville, there were four high schools that had Chinese in the school district.

I moved to San Diego and became a part of Barnard last year. From high school to elementary school was a big jump for me, but I enjoy every minute I had with my students. Without a doubt, 3rd grade become my favorite grade to teach! I still contact with my old students in Kentucky. Some of them are already in college and taking Chinese in college. It feels great to see I made difference in my students’ life.

In my spare time, I take courses and programs in UCSD Extension to learn more techniques I can use to help with my students. I spend a lot of time talk with my mother on Facetime. She lives in China, and comes visit once a while. She stayed with me in San Diego the whole summer, and just left a week ago. She will be soon in XinJiang, a province in west China, as her next travel destination.

I am not married but I have an awesome boyfriend who is an international admission counselor at University of California at San Diego. He loves kids and is eager to help with any events.

I am so excited to be your teacher and to be a part of your 3rd grade experience. I can’t wait to see ALL of you. I am sure it is going to be an AWESOME year!

My Favorites:

Favorite color:                  Blue

Favorite animal:               Panda

Favorite season:               Summer

Favorite drink:                  Sweet tea

Favorite food:                   Rice

Favorite cake:                   Cheesecake

Meet Mrs. Neiner

Hi.  My name is Mrs. Neiner, and I’m one of your third grade teachers.  I grew up in Los Angeles and I have always known  I wanted to be a teacher since I was in kindergarten.  I moved to San Diego about 25 years ago and graduated from San Diego State University. This will be my 20th year teaching and my 11th year teaching third grade.  I have also taught first and second grade and was  a reading support teacher for  first through fifth graders.  Without a doubt, teaching third graders is my favorite!

When I am not in my classroom, I am usually spending time with my family. My husband was a classroom teacher as well until he decided to become a P.E. teacher  quite a few years back which he loves. It is right up his alley.   He likes to surf and downhill skateboard.  He is the oldest kid in the family. : )  My daughter Kaya is 15 and is a sophomore in high school.  It’s crazy!  (Boy, I feel old!!!)  She loves soccer, surfing, and hanging out with her friends.  Shane, my son, is 13 and is an eighth grader.  He plays soccer and guitar, and also loves to surf and skate.   As for myself,  I love to run on the cliffs, practice yoga, play soccer, surf, and read!!!   I also love just spending time with my family and friends.

Now I would like to learn a little more about you students.  Please answer the questions below in detail and then read two or more peer responses and respond to them.  Don’t forget to reread your writing before submitting it, making sure you edit and revise it.  Don’t worry!!  We will practice this throughout the whole year. I look forward to reading your work!

What are some things you love to do? 

What are some of your most favorite things in world?

Do you play any sports or instruments?  

How do you like to spend your weekends?

17 thoughts on “Meet Your Teachers

1. I like doing many thing. One thing is soccer I am not in a team but I know what to do. I also like to do karate I have been doing it for about 4 years and it’s fun. I have also been doing boxing for almost a year. The last thing is ju jitsu I have been doing it for a year now.

2. I love playing on my wii u.my favrit thing to do is traviling.i like spennding on the wekend is doing the same thing. I only like the moon calender you give us.i like the all about me bag.

3. I was so exited for 3d grade .I liked the all about me bag in everything.but overall I liked 3rd grade so far I like the homework they give us. but miss jevyn so much cry. and I made new friends.

4. I think third grad is going to be a very fun year . On the first day of school I was worried but when I saw my friends I felt better . Once I got to know my teachers they were pretty nice . So far third grad is going pretty good , I love all the things that we have bin doing like the all about me bags and the self portraits , and the timed math . I bet you teachers will teach us a lot , have a great year .

5. My favorite thing to do at home is to play with my cousins when there home and I play on my i pad. The reason why I like play with my cousins is that me and my cousins are like best friends and the reason why I like playing on my i pad is that I like watching youtube and playing games on it.

My most favorite thing in the world is my stuff rabbit. I love it because my mom gave it to me and I love my mom and when my mom is gone away on a work trip I bring my stuff rabbit with me to remember her when she is away on a work trip.

I don’t play any sports but I use to play a instrument which is the piano when I was I was about four or five years old and I want to play soccer because my dad use to play soccer when he was in high school so I want to play soccer.

On the weekends I like to spend the time with my family because my family is very important to me they help me with things and support me and I love them very much with out them I wouldn’t have existed.

6. I was very exited about 3rd grade. But overall nervous.But when I made new friends. and did a good job. I new it won`t be bad at all. I love 3rd grade. And I promise I will be a good lisener. and do my very BEST!!!

7. I like to do swming ,tennes and running. My most favorite stuff in the world in animles, plants and flowers and I really like to play instruments too. I play sports and instruments my favorite sports is tennes and my favorite instrument is ukalele. To spend my day on the weekend I go to sleep and I play my ipad.

8. I like to play with my sister Lily. I like to draw, swim, and ride my bike. My favorite things are first bunny, pandas, and stars. I play my keyboard at home. On the weekends I like to go to park, play the Wii U, and watch my favorite shows.

9. What I like to do outside: I like to go swimming, play soccer, four square, and tetherball. On weekends, I ride my bike with my family and sometimes my friend Maya comes with us. We like to ride at Mission Bay since its really close. We also we go to Mission Trails to ride.

What I like to do inside: I like to draw on mostly anything, play hide and go seek, play with my cat Figaro, play my I-pad, and watch TV.

10. I like to play with my friends. I like to draw when I am alone. I am on the swim team The Piranhas and I play water polo for that team. I got alot of ribbions this summer for swimming. I ride my bike with my family at mission bay most saturdays. I also play the paino and even made my own song named song of the sea.

11. My favorite thing to do at home is to play with my cousins when their home. I also like playing on my I pad. The reason why I like play with my cousins is that me and my cousins are like best friends. The reason why I like playing on my Ipad is because I like watching youtube and playing games on it.
    My most favorite thing in the world is my stuffed rabbit. I love it because my mom gave it to me. I love my mom and when my mom is gone away on a work trip I bring my stuff rabbit with me to remember her when she is away on a work trip.
    I don’t play any sports. But I use to play an instrument which is the piano when I was about four or five years old. I want to play soccer when I am older because my dad use to play soccer when he was in high school.
    On the weekends I like to spend the time with my family because my family is very important to me. They help me with things and support me. I love them very much. Without them I wouldn’t have existed.

12. There are lots of things I like I’ll say some of them. I love Minecraft because you can create you can do engineering, and fight! I like playing piano because you can do any tone, drum, organ, or a different type of piano! I also like sleeping with my Mom that is very rare. So those are the things I like.

13. Hi Mrs.Neiner I love playing tennis. I started in July so I have been playing for 3 and a half month now .But I am really good I love playing tennis. So I like to swim. I have been swimming for 2 years. I do taekwodndo now I am a yellow belt I have been doing it for 9 months now I am happy I am in it.

I ❤ my mom, dad, and me and my family. I also love to play with my cousin`s and I also love them. I love playing tennis. I started July so I have been playing for 3 and a half month now but I am really good. I also like to swim. I have been swimming for 2 years. I do taekwodndo now I am a yellow belt I have been doing it for 8 months now I am happy I am in it.

So I play tennis I also do taekwodndo and swimming. So in swimming I am level 3 level 3 is called guppies. I play the piano I not that good but am love it. I am doing choir I have been doing it for a month.

I in joy going to the beach when I can. I love going to my grandma`s house to be honest I go there every Tuesday. I love going to my dad house I love it there. I also in joy going to my friend’s house. So that was a little about me.

14. I like Horseback riding, tree climbing and fishing. I also like drawing. Photography is fun too! And sometimes I sleep a lot! Next year I want to try out volley ball. After school I do hula, kungfu and basketball.
    On the weekend I like fishing with my dad. I also watch sport fishing competitions on my ipad. Sometimes my brother goes to the park with my dad to play soccer. My mom goes shopping too. And sometimes I go to my friend’s house. At my friend’s house we play soccer and we wrestle.
    My most favorite things in the world are my ipad, my dad’s computer, my drawing pad and my idea notebook. My dad’s computer and my idea notebook are on this list because I really LOVE writing stories and you need ideas. My ipad is on this list because as I said I like watching sport fishing competitions on it. My drawing pad is on this list because when I’m mad at my brother or something like that I go into my room and just draw whatever I’m thinking about. Then when I’m ready I go outside to do cartwheels or something.
    I don’t play any instruments but, I do like to play soccer. I also like to swim. Even though I’m not on the swim team I still like racing my dad at the YMCA. My dad wants to teach me tennis but he’s been really busy. Next year I want to play the violin.

15. I really like to play flag football. Once in a while at night I
    play on my iPad and my Wii.
    My favorite thing to do is to
    go outside and play with my sister.
    My favorite food is spaghetti. My favorite
    friends are Evan, Leata, Andre, and Brandon.